Thursday, August 4, 2011

24-Hour Notice

Image Credit
One of my landlords dropped off a bill for my propane usage and a copy of my new lease this morning.  As she did so, she asked if she could come in for "just a minute" to do her annual inspection.  I said, "no," explaining that my house was a mess and I'd rather clean it up first; I'd be happy for her to inspect it tomorrow.  She replied she'd be back in a couple days.

What I didn't say, but wanted to, was, "By law, twenty-four hours' notice is required before entering a tenant's residence unless there is a reasonable emergency."  My landlords are kind and I've known them for ages; the history breeds a familiarity that renders such inquiries commonplace.

Today was the first time I said "no," though.  I did so nicely and in a matter-of-fact manner, and was, I must confess, pleased that I handled it so well.  I don't like saying "no," but become more adept at it each time I do so.

How good are you at saying "no" and/or standing up for your rights while maintaining your integrity?

No comments:

Post a Comment

As long as you're not abusive, your comment will be published.